SASIM is a non-profit network of medical practitioners who support the practice of Functional and Integrative Medicine (IM).
We exist to support like-minded health care providers in sharing knowledge, research and best-practices. We promote IM nationally by facilitating the advancement of science and research and providing advice on new policy. SASIM also provides the public with a national database of practitioners and helps to educate the general community on all matters regarding integrative medicine.
Whether you’re a patient or a practitioner, we invite you to join this growing community in our mission to promote safe, effective, evidence-based, holistic, patient-centred health care.
SASIM’s Mission Statement
- To promote the science, art, philosophy and practice of Integrative Medicine in South Africa.
- To define clearly the relationship between promoting health and treating disease.
- To promote scientific study in the realm of Integrative Medicine in order to support evidence-based practice.
- Collect and circulate research and other information relating to the Integrative Medicine profession.
- To create a network of physicians with expertise in the field of Integrative Medicine in order to improve patient care.
- To support individual physicians in their practice of Integrative Medicine.
- To protect the professional and legal interests of integrative practitioners.
- To maintain professional standards for such practitioners.
- Maintain the role of the medical practitioner as the primary care provider, whilst working in a multidisciplinary team of other health providers.
- To empower the public to make informed choices in choosing Integrative Medicine therapies and to facilitate better access to these therapies.
- To build associations with associations, organisations and statutory councils in South Africa and elsewhere.
- Act as an advisory body to government and medical bodies in the formation of policies relating to integrative medicine.
- Promote improvements or changes in the law relating to medical practice where appropriate.
- Provide support for Medical Students with an interest in Integrative Medicine.